I consider myself to be very lucky to have lived in a bunch of different places.
Just to put this in context let me name a few, Limassol – Cyprus, London – England, Glasgow – Scotland, Athens – Greece, New York City – NY, Tampa – FL, Toronto – Canada and lastly, Jersey City- NJ.
I always looked down at people with the piss-yellow New Jersey license plate. It is, without question, the ugliest license plate in the entire United States of America, if not in the entire planet.
However, after moving back to the NYC area after a year in Florida, I thought I would give the NJ life a try. I hate living in a concrete jungle like New York City but I want to be near the city enough to be able to work there, go out for food and go see my family in the City. What I hate about New York is that I have to drive around for 30 minutes every time I come back home trying to find parking.
So I found myself a place in Jersey City NJ. The rent here is comparable to NYC but for the price of a NYC studio, I got myself a “luxury” one bedroom apartment with a huge kitchen/living room, huge bedroom, huge bathroom, plenty of free parking outside and a small dog park. I thought this is it. I have made it. I found a place that I like with easy commute to NYC. The only thing I hate is that embarrassing piss yellow plate on my car.
My excitement did not last long. New Jersey, and especially the areas of NJ near NYC, is a dumb.
Let’s go through some of the reasons.
- I am spending about $100 a month on Tolls! This should be illegal. It is virtually impossible to go anywhere in NJ without having to pay for the privilege of driving on a damn road! It’s like the taxes we pay are not enough! I get how other states charge for crossing a bridge or something out of the ordinary but these people charge almost every single highway they have in the state.
- This place is ugly! And I mean real ugly. It’s like the entire area is under construction for ever. The are no trees planted by the city or state or anything really that would attempt to make this place beautiful or cute. It’s just bad.
- Transportation sucks. If there was no free bus from my apartment community to the PATH station, I would have to pay for 3 different modes of transportation to get to work. In NYC you could get an unlimited monthly metro card which would allow you to use any bus or subway or cable car in the city. In NJ, even though they have NJ transit, you have to buy a separate monthly pass for any mode of transport you need to take. So if I didn’t have the free bus from my apartment I would have had to pay for 1 monthly light rail pass to get me to the PATH station, 1 monthly PATH card and 1 monthly metro card. That’s $300 down the drain + the $100 on tolls.
- Garbage everywhere. It’s like nobody is ever trying to clean any of those roads or sidewalks. I just don’t get it.
- Government services are a mess. Granted, I can get a drivers license for $10 instead of the $75 they charge in New York, but I would rather pay $140 if it would mean I would interact with humans instead of animals. Go to a NJ dmv and experience first hand how it feels to be treated like a pig, for no apparent reason. No smiles, no good mornings no have a good one, nothing. It’s like they hate your guts just because you went there to renew your license.
I could go on forever. But this place makes me feel miserable. No other place on earth made me feel as negative as this place.
I think it goes without question that I will be moving to NYC as soon as my rental lease is up. I’d rather pay more and live in a City with no parking rather than live in a dumpster.
Wow that was some heavy ranting right there.